A free book about font design, Unicode and the computer processing of complex text, by Simon Cozens.
- A brief history of type
- Font Concepts
- The Unicode Standard
- How OpenType Works
- Introduction to OpenType Features
- Substitution and Positioning Rules
- OpenType for Global Scripts
- Advanced Feature Programming
- Layout Challenges in Global Type
- Rasterisation and Hinting
- Fonts on the Web
- OpenType for Programmers: Freetype2
- Text Layout for Programmers: Harfbuzz
- Text Layout for Programmers: libraqm
Many thanks to contributors and bug finders: Khaled Hosny, Georg Siefert, Peter Constable, and Rob McKaughan.
Thanks also to sponsors and backers: Google Fonts, Jeremy Tribby, Lukas Prokop.